Pages


Risk Taker:Mix it up!






Mixing patterns, prints, textures and fabrics is all about taking risks. Like I've said before, pairing totally different styles or elements together adds interest and character to a room. You don't necessarily have to make a huge color contrast with your prints. You can go light and subtle. Or you can do the complete opposite, which will add different dimensions and reflect more bustling decor elements! ( I would personally take this route because I like more gutsy and obvious design, which is what most of these images consist of.) 



This last image is a quite serene and peaceful combination of prints and fabrics. A great example of subdued mixing. But even with the patterned wood flooring, it adds more depth. 

I just can't think of a better way to design a room with a more delivering personality!

sources*1, 2, 3, 45678, 9

Leave a Comment

Glitterista said...

Love the mixture of the turqoise and red--that coral pillow really pops! :)

Val said...

It's so much fun to mix it up...The first image is stunning.

Jenna Lee said...

I would love to say I know how to mix and match patterns but i just dont have th eye for it. :(

Rebecca said...

These pattern/texture mixtures are great!! Reminds me of the design of the 60s. I have this sweet Doubleday Interior Decorating book I neeeed to blog about soon!

Simply Camylla said...

You gave me some great ideas for my new apartment! Love the patterns and colors. Brilliant!

So happy to have found your blog :)

Much love from
www.simplycamylla.blogspot.com

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

Beautiful inspiration pictures! LOVE the bed in the last pic - it's gorgeous!

17 Perth said...

Beautiful inspiration photos....I am loving that last pic....it is dripping with antique eclectic elegance...LOVE.

Coley said...

I agree, these are wonderful photos to show how mixing patterns and textures works perfectly

www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

Nat{natyouraveragegirl} said...

i love the room with the pink pouf but being married doesnt lend itself easily to hot pink!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

what a great set of photos- I am so happy to find your blog- since it made me happy.

Karena said...

Oh I agree Drew!! I do love the next to last bedroom, the rug is fab! I do like to mix it up without too many busy patterns!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Exciting New $150 Giveaway from Dr Perricone! Come and Enter!

Aubrey {All Things Bright and Beautiful} said...

I feel like I talk until I'm blue in the face about how "it doesn't have to *match*...it just has to *go*"...for some reason, it is a SUPER hard concept for people! These are pretty much the best examples *EVER*...I can't even pick a favorite, they are all so awesome...but that little b&w table is a stunna...(c:

Mrs. C said...

I love mixing and using different patterns. Sometimes I don't think they go so I am still learning...some great ideas here! I love the nautical room! I've recently come across your blog and I love...a new follower!!!


www.MrsCapretta.com
Recipes Fashion Marriage

{The Perfect Palette} said...

Loving the prints + texture. Makes for such unique looks! And of course I'm loving the colors!

xoxo, chrissy
The Perfect Palette

Anonymous said...

I looovve that bed in the last picture. What an awesome idea for a DIY project!

-Emmy
www.sprinklesoneverything.wordpress.com

Something Old, Something New said...

I love mixing patterns together - it always makes decorating and even getting dressed more fun! If you like something together even if it doesn't 'match' why not?

Love the last picture - the fabric on the bed is such a great idea!

Abby M. Interiors said...

I have always dreamed of a wood floor like that. I love mixing pattern and texture, but that wood floor really makes the room. Beautiful post!
abby

Julie {love, julie} said...

I love all the bright colors! I can't even pick a favorite!!

natasha {schue love} said...

I love mixing and matching but feel it takes a true talent to pull it just right! These are all gorgeous!

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

o fun! i love that last photo! i love the idea of mixing patterns but it can be a little scary... i need to get over that :0 xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

Becca {A Blonde's Logic} said...

Great ideas! I've not quite mastered the art of mixing and matching but I'm getting better!

Becca
http://blondeslogic.blogspot.com

Bud and Leo said...

The turquoise and coral in the first set of pics is to die for!

hollie said...

those blue chairs are absolutely lovely!

Erica said...

Oh I just love that turquoise chair in the first picture! So lovely! I need to learn how to mix and match patterns and textures like this :)

Julie said...

Really great examples of this concept! Now I just need to follow through in my own apartment. Somehow I always tend towards the neutrals...

Nicole Rene said...

Love this! I adore patterns & prints mixed together. I think it is so fun! And if it's done correctly & not too crazily, I think it looks very chic! Love your blog! :)

Sierra said...

You did such a gorgeous job with all of these prints and fabrics! Everything is so beautiful!

Urban Jungle Fashion said...

I LOVED this post!

Lamb said...

I love all of these! Especially the top right.

xo lamb loves